Translate

1 February 2017

Fred's family photos XX


We are nearing the end of the collection. There are few if any clues as to the subjects here. In case any researchers read this, well, here's what we have, photo by photo.

1. Studio of R R Wilson. At one time, here at  48 Penrose St, off Walworth Rd, London. Also at 63 Wellington St, Woolwich. Now the residence centre left in this photo. But our photo below, with a 116 Walworth Rd address must date from that studio's 1883-94 - Wilson himself died in 1891, but the studio continued. dates. (Details researched by 'Greyfox'.)





2. The cutout, from a postcard print format on the reverse (not unusual in early photos) has 8017 and 10x7 Sepia, written in pencil. The ivy, house and clothing give us a rural feel.

3. The bearded gentleman has 1876 in the reverse - a date or a negative number? The date does fit - so we're pretty safe on this date. From Gwyn Collier, 223 Fulham Rd, SW - 'Nearly opposite consumption hospital' - Copies can be obtained at any time and enlarged up to the size of life'. Well, some rapid research shows that the Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest existed for just four years, 1842-1846. Could this date our photo? Ironically, as far as we can make out, the area occupied by 223 Fulham Road is now occupied by The Royal Marsden Hospital, neighbouring The Institute of Cancer Research.

Our reader 'Greyfox' adds: Collier had a studio at 223 Fulham Road from 1864 to 1878. (Also operated from many other addresses in that period!) .... The “Consumption Hospital” (properly “The Hospital for Consumption & Diseases of the Chest” but generally “The Brompton Hospital”) was on the opposite (north) side of Fulham Road from 1846. (I think the reference you found was to its precursor, which had been at The Manor House, Chelsea from 1842 to 1846.) The Hospital acquired houses on the South side of the road from 1868 onwards and the South Wing was completed in 1882. The Brompton was extended further in the 1970s & the original (1846) building is now a very exclusive set of apartments.  The Royal Marsden building is adjacent to the South Wing of the Brompton & was opened in 1862. It was originally called “The Cancer Hospital” but was renamed in 1954 in honour of Dr Marsden, its founder.'

4. The child was photographed by Mr & Mrs Ward of  West Croydon, 'Opposite the railway station - Artists & Copyists - Paris, London, Rome, Florence and Venice - Estd 1851. Above their opulent array of city names, they have a small drawing of a positively palatial building. This and the present building deserves a post on its own - so, tomorrow!

5. The unlikely couple with the hats was taken by A Simmons, 258 Westminster Bridge Road, 'Opposite Astley's theatre, five doors from Belvedere Road'. Also at 191 Newington Butts. His reference number for the photo was 3625. The photo must date from July 1888 – September 1891 (credit to research by 'Greyfox'). 

6. The final, full-skirted lady, resting her arm on a chair (it helped subjects keep still) was C J Hopkins of Epsom.


No comments:

Post a Comment