Translate

4 December 2016

5th-8th Oct 1947: "I was in heaven..."

5 Sun. Morning frost & thick white fog, clearing by afternoon when the sun came through: fine calm afternoon. The usual crowd of children called. To Wimbledon Common in afternoon. Flew model aero. under good conditions. Every one of the very many flights made was good, some almost perfect. Being calm I was able to judge, for the first time, the performance of this model and various slight modifications would make it a really first rate flyer. Mrs Akroyd came to supper.

6 Mon. Cold, dull morning becoming mild, sunny and calm in afternoon. Did shopping locally in morning. Got accumulator from Whitbourn’s, also took the driving part of my three-speed gear to have a new sprocket fitted. Gave Donald 4 lbs of green tomatoes for his mother to make into chutney. Ciss went to see Uncle Tom & Aunt Nellie who sent me a sausage roll. I wrote him a letter. Played pin-board with Ciss at night.

7 Tues. Less cold morning, lovely warm sunny afternoon, calm and rather close but I like it like that. Donald called many times. Walked to Merton in afternoon to buy cats meat. Dear Gwennie called in afternoon and she was lovely; she sang Sunday School hymns to my piano accompaniment and I was very happy. I stripped the fuselage of aero. and re-covered with emerald green tissue.

8 Wed. Still very mild, 69 degs. in afternoon, very dull and calm. Water-tightened and doped the aero. fuselage: good. Got the groceries locally. To Whitbourn’s to get my 3 speed hub centre sprocket with new 19 tooth ½ ins pitch sprocket attached. Fitted it into back wheel and replaced into cycle: needs only a new chain to complete the job. Donald called: he was intrigued with the discarded old sprocket. Gwennie called in afternoon and sang to my accompaniment: I was in heaven: precious! Short walk in evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment