Translate

25 December 2016

25th Dec 1947: thunder - roast beef - Xmas pudding... "I feel a great gap in my life..."

Listening to the Christmas Day broadcast by the King was a traditional part
 of the family's Christmas. This wireless and foldable artificial Christmas tree
- both of which survived many years  - was at 98 Largewood Avenue, Tolworth,
 the home of Fred's brother Albert and his wife, Lily.

25 Thur. Mild, 53 degrees, dull, rain on and off all day: several loud peals of thunder in early evening. I cannot remember having heard thunder on Christmas Day before. We had roast beef and Xmas pudding for dinner which was good. With Ciss to the Churchyard to see the flowers on dear Father’s grave. It does not seem true that he is gone and I feel a great gap in my life which cannot be filled. I played some Beethoven Sonatas which comforted me. Ciss said Dad would not wish for us to be sad so we played a game of dominoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment