Translate

1 August 2016

19th March 1947: 'passed peacefully away'

19 Wed. Moderately mild, heavy rain most of the day, but a burst of sunshine & a rainbow late in the day: wind blowing half a gale. Got the groceries locally, also to Morden to buy a bunch of black grapes for Uncle Dick. I went to Nelson Hospital in afternoon intending to see Uncle Dick; went round the mens ward but could not see him. A man in a bed then asked me who I wanted and when I said Mr Howick he told me that he passed peacefully away this morning. I then found a nurse and she said he had been in hospital two days with asthma but that he died of heart failure. And so he goes to meet Aunt Aggie from whose death he never recovered. I remember them both with pleasure: they seemed fond of me and before Aunt Aggie died went often to them and had tea at West Barnes. I last saw Uncle Dick at the cricket match last summer: he was a keen supporter of Merton Cricket and was on the committee of the annual Charity Cricket Match.

Note: I believe this must be Ambrose Richard Howick who died aged 77 (born 1870) recorded in the records of Surrey Mid-Eastern district. 

No comments:

Post a Comment