Translate

15 July 2016

20th Feb 1947: adventures with coal, a cat and a cellar


"Made some coal balls out of coal dust, cement and water"

20 Thur. Slightly thawing midday but otherwise freezing; very dismal yellow light, and snowing most of the day. Made some coal balls out of coal dust, cement and water. Found a quantity of dust under the cellar floor, the accumulation of years which has fallen through holes in the floor. The coalman called in afternoon to my surprise and relief and delivered 5 cwt at 4/1 d per cwt. Tibby unknown to me got through a hole in the cellar floor. I covered the holes with a metal plate and put 2 cwt of new coal on the top. After a time I missed Tibby and thought I may have buried him under the floor so I removed the coal, lifted the metal plate and attracted him by shining my torch down the hole. He came up unperturbed; so I moved 2 cwt of coal twice. Out shopping locally: met Gwennie & Donald hunting in vain for paraffin, like myself. Played draughts with Donald.

"I missed Tibby and thought I may have buried him under the floor"

No comments:

Post a Comment