Translate

16 June 2016

30th-31st Dec 1946: "the scourge of shortage"

"The fat ration is one ounce per person per week! 
Prices of commodities are still rising and money is losing its value. "


30 Mon. Cold morning and night, a little sunshine midday; thick fog at night. To Morden to buy cats meat and a gas mantle. I fitted the latter. The three children called, Gwennie bringing her doll to show me. She left it here by mistake so I walked down the street with it in my arms to take it back to “mother”.


31 Tues. Cold, dull, but a little sunshine midday; freezing at night. Bought a nice cod fillet for dinner as well as some cats’ pieces. Took accumulator and got a paper in afternoon. The three children called and Gwennie, Laurie and I played dominoes – Sebastopol. The first time they have played but they played well and Laurie won, Gwennie second and me a bad last. The game was played quite seriously and no chances given. And so 1946 ends. There is much to thank God for although there is still so much to be done to remove the scourge of shortage. The fat ration is one ounce per person per week! Prices of commodities are still rising and money is losing its value. 1946 weather was the worst I can remember with a minimum sunshine and maximum rainfall and never can I remember so much wind. Let us hope 1947 will be better; it surely must be. God will give us grace and strength to bear whatever the future has in store.

"the scourge of shortage"

No comments:

Post a Comment