Translate

31 December 2014

31st Dec 1944: end of year reflections... and prayer

"a year of hardship, of great trial and danger...
when the bombs have come screaming down I thought my time had come"

31 Sun. Frost very severe and white, clearer with some sun in afternoon. Mrs. Akroyd to tea: poor dear, she had a dreadful cold: gave her some aspirins. To have a look at Mrs. Veale’s wireless. She has bought a new H.T. battery and the set works all right but the new battery makes all manner of background noises. There is nothing I can do about it. If the noises do not subside, I advised her to take it back to the shop. So ends another year. It has been a year of hardship, of great trial and danger and the uncertainty which it brings. Many times when the bombs have come screaming down I thought my time had come. But God has blessed us and brought us to another year. Great advances have been made on the battlefields of Europe and it does seem that the New Year may bring us nearer to our goal or even to Victory and Peace. Pray God it may be so. Amen.


Rocket in NW at 1.45 p.m. followed by a very long drawn out rumble

No comments:

Post a Comment