Translate

1 April 2014

1st April 1944: unexpected death of a friend

Mr & Mrs Hippel lived here, at 37 Amity Grove , London SW20 
1 April. Sat. Cold, dull, grey day, bitter wind. Bought potatoes in morning. To Morden to buy fish etc. Also to the local grocers to buy a few commodities. Mrs Dean called in evening to say that Mrs. Hippel was dead. I was surprised; I saw her last on 2nd Feb when she seemed fairly well. I have been visiting her for many years and have kept her wireless in repair. I am to call on Monday at 3. to take away the wireless set & loudspeaker I loaned to her for an indefinite period.... The long awaited rain came at night.

Note: Mrs Hippel had recently been in Kingston hospital for six weeks, suffering 'congestion of the lungs'. Mr Hippel had died in July 1942. Aside from looking after her radio, on one visit, Fred records having played Mrs Hippel's harmonium. Mr & Mrs Hippel lived at 37 Amity Grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment