Translate

20 November 2011

Fri 24th Oct 1941: roses and railways

.
Rather cold, dull, cloudy. N.wind. To do shopping in morning. I always get the weekend meat on Fridays. Also to Wimbledon along rail path. Saw large blue(?) mixed traffic loco. 489 at Merton Hall Road; ity is now painted black. First time I have had a close up view of this type. Bought roses Pres.Herbert Hoover and Mrs Herbert Stevens at Woolworth's. Met young fellow in Wimbledon whom I only know as a Merton cricket enthusiast: I do not know his name. Planted the roses in afternoon.
.

1 comment:

  1. I think that Fred is referring to a Bulleid 0-6-0 Q class "austerity" locomotive. These were devoid of the trimmings of the Bulleid pacifics that Fred admires passing through Raynes Park. Very strong engines I remember them hauling very long trains of coal trucks up the incline to Malden Manor en route the Tolworth and Chessington coal yards. Until 1967 they could often be seen at Wimbledon as the coal trains were assembled. I lived by the track and the whole house used to shake. The night train at 3 am would wake me long before it passed our house. BR numbered 33001 is preserved at York:

    http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1978-7041&pageNo=21

    ReplyDelete