Translate

10 January 2011

Friday 10th January 1941: cat food problem

.
Freezing all day, dull. Still puzzled how I can feed the cats. Bought packet of Spillers cat food & some sprats. Eileen McCappin (?) and Eileen Boxall called. Distant warning at 8.25 p.m. no incidents: all clear at 9.30 p.m: local warning was not given.
.
On this day: Lend-Lease Bill introduced in US Congress, to supply arms to Britain, met with strong opposition, not lease from Charles Lindbergh and former Ambassador Kennedy.


British carrier HMS Illustrious attacked by German and Italian aircraft near Malta. Over 200 crew killed. She returned to Malta, leaving Germany free shift supplies to North Africa. Malta was left nearly defenceless. 
.




.

3 comments:

  1. Eileen Boxall ran the Girl Guides group in Raynes Park that I attended from about 1948-52. The name Eileen McCappin rings a bell too; I'll have to ask my sister about her.
    Re childhood memories, I recently wrote an article for a Motspur Park website. It's at
    http://www.motspurpark.info/memories.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fern, thanks for comment and link - I've read your article. My photo of Motspur Park/New Malden from top of the former Shannon building (late 50s early 60s) must show your Cavendish Avenue, just about, beyond Belmont. See photo at top of 16 to 20 Oct 1940 entry.... So, you are in New Zealand. So are some of the Conley family, who contacted me - see note under photo of house (top right on every page)- Best wishes, Tony (tony@poemsplease.me)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister (born 1930) writes: "I do indeed remember Eileen McCappin as she was in the year above me at school. She was sporty and had a reputation for breaking bones quite frequently, mainly I suspect because she was fearless and threw herself into things like challenging vaults in the gym. I think she was for a while my patrol leader at Girl Guides too. I think it is also possible that the two of them (she and Eileen Boxall) were members of the Methodist church where we went for Guide meetings."

    ReplyDelete