Translate

30 October 2010

Tuesday 29th October 1940:

.
Fifteen bombs on Morden at 4.10 a.m. without warning which sounded at 4.15, then 16 bombs on South London. All clear at 7.15 a.m. Warnings at 11 to 11.30 a.m., 12.35 to 1.15 p.m. enemy aircraft under fire. Gladys & Margaret called. 125 to 1.45 p.m. gunfire. 4.5 to 5.22 p.m. Night raid at 6.46 p,m very slow start and few machines. Can't say I heard any bombs. All clear at 4.55 a.m. on 30 Wed.
.
On this day: British troops landed on Crete.
.

2 comments:

  1. It still seems incredulous to me that the blitz can be so calmly recorded, chaos and horror all around and Uncle Fred still finds time to record the price of cat food, I am loving this blog, real lives meticulously recorded, I do hope you are sending a copy to the Imperial War museum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anne & Steve. I've alerted IWM today (1 Nov) at your prompting. I'll also put in a scan of a couple of pages - showing that meticulous record.

    ReplyDelete