Translate

23 March 2010

Saturday, 23 March 1940

Very cool, very dull, some drizzling showers. Alb, Lily and Mrs.Jones to tea. Dear little Violet is staying with Mrs.Kingham: gave her an Easter egg and a ball. Out to buy food for Dinky: enough to last over the holidays. I believe that Jesus Christ died for me.

Alb(ert) was Fred's brother, married to Lily. They lived in Tolworth, Surbiton, Surrey. Dinky was a cat.

On this day This became an important day for the future Pakistan. The principal text of the Lahore (or 'Pakistan') Resolution was passed on 23 March, in Lahore, by the Muslim League. It called for greater Muslim autonomy in British India. This has been largely interpreted as a demand for a separate Muslim State, Pakistan. It formed the basis for the decision of the Muslim League to struggle for one State for Muslims. See wiki - Lahore Resolution.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder what food he bought for dinky? I dont think there was much catfood, if any, produced back then? I think the first cat biscuits were introduced in the 1950's?

    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liver, fish, sprats all mentioned - plus prices. And I've just found a Registration No for Dinky... more in later posts! This is an even richer source of WWII social and domestic history than I supposed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I think you meant to say "the principal text") :-)

    ReplyDelete